It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:13 am

Auto Transmission Fluid Changing Poll

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What have you done to your Sebring Auto Transmission?
I took it to the shop for a fluid/filter change. 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
I took it to the shop for a fluid flush 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
I have done a fluid/filter change myself 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
I have done a flush myself thru the cooler lines 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
I have never done anything with my transmission 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
I have had transmission issues/parts replaced 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
I have added a cooler or filter to my transmission 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I have used a additive in my transmission for better performance or to fix issues 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 61
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:15 pm   
Gold Member

Yes....another sleepm poll people............ :lol:

This is something that should be changed every 30,000 miles or so but is often neglected.

What have you done? Any other thoughts?

The world can be a bad place. Are you making it better or worse?
Run Synthetic Oil and a high quality filter!
I use Coffeecup web software and these are my sites: http://www.cedarstreetchurch.org and http://www.lojope.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:31 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I am old fashion,, but I was taught and still believe that you never change your automatic fluid.. The one time I did it,, the tyranny failed a short time later. Will never do it again unless I change transmissions.. Well, you ask,, :mrgreen:

2005 Sebring limited ,Grey metallic, 2.7 L 24valve DHC,42k miles,alternative fuel model, General Exclaim UHR 235/45 ZR17--94W Tires. ghost grey, cloth top. 42K miles, dusty engine compartment. first private owner.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:44 pm   
Silver Member

Prior to getting this car, its had the tranny serviced by a flush and new filter and fluid. She looks to good and shifts smooth as silk to mess with at this time!

1986 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 Royal SE
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHRI

Send Money, Guns and Lawyers

There are 3 kind of people here in America, those who pay nothing and get everything, those who pay for every thing and working hard while ending up with nothing, and those who are RICH who have accounts in Switzerland and Left the country!
Thanks Washington!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:01 am   
Gold Member

I have not had to do the Sebring yet. The guy I bought it from said it had just been done. I have had my other cars flushed at the dealer and at Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

I use Coffeecup web software and these are my sites: http://www.cedarstreetchurch.org and http://www.lojope.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm   
Bronze Member

Whenever I get a "new to me" vehicle one of the first things I do is a pan drop, filter change and then complete flush through the cooler lines. I like to start with fresh, clean ATF+4. You never know who worked on it or what's in there otherwise. On the Sebring I also had to heli-coil four stripped out pan bolt holes on the tranny-- I'm not sure how someone managed that, but I'm glad to know it's now right.

1997 Sebring JXi, 2.5L
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L
2001 T&C Limited 3.8L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:59 pm   
Copper Member

Wrestling with this as we speak (on whether to do it or not. Wife's car just turned 50K) Manual says it needs never to be changed under normal use.

It also says not to use an additive. :?:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 pm   
Copper Member

I had mine power flushed and filled at 80K miles. Not every shop has the equipment to do a power flush. I had mine done at the dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:43 am   
Site Administrator

The only thing missing from your poll is what mine has, complete rebuild due to component failure. Since I was assured that it had been done when I bought the car and I had plans to do it when the time came, it would have been at an appropriate shop. However, they changed out most of the internal parts too when I got to it. :)

2000 Chevy Cavalier Cayenne Pepper Red(1st new car 6 miles at adoption) - freshly repaired deck lid! - now with a crunched nose. :(
1995 Ford Moustang Teal - Back to Stock ;)
2008 Chrysler Pacifica FWD LX Inferno Red (2nd new car 12 miles at adoption)
1988 Ford Ranger - One day to have all of it's parts in the same pile.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:42 am   

I just did mine at 100,000 for the first time. The only problem I find with doing a power flush is I find it hard to believe the filter doesn't retain a lot of junk in it and I find it hard to believe the pan and magnet let go of all the junk on them. I can tell you how you can strip out the pan bolts as I did that to one of mine. While lying upside down with the torque wrench, I looked at it incorrectly and set the metric indicator rather than the ft-lbs. It seemed like it was turning to much; but, by then it had stripped the threads. I've had no leaks in the 900 miles since then. Some day, I will get some RTV sealant and coat the bolt hole and bolt with it just to keep it in place. The other 8,000 bolts :lol: are holding it in place just fine.

That's Mick in the February, 2008 COTM avatar car - lovin' him the most
Mods to date..........
Homelink, CMTC, XM radio, front footwell & cup holder white neons, leather shift knob, & autodim mirror added

And the 1st mod I made was to add a windscreen - which my wife and I LOVE.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:58 pm   
Bronze Member

Golfnut wrote:
I can tell you how you can strip out the pan bolts as I did that to one of mine. While lying upside down with the torque wrench, I looked at it incorrectly and set the metric indicator rather than the ft-lbs.

LOL-- at least you figured it out after the first one.

1997 Sebring JXi, 2.5L
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L
2001 T&C Limited 3.8L

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:32 am   
CSCC Founder

Every 30,000 miles? that seems excessive and like a Quickie Lube Joint money making scheme. I only do it every 100,000 miles.

The sebring was changed at 76,000 miles at a quickie lube place and they put the wrong Trans fluid into it. Had to have it redone at the Dealer. It is document all over this site.

[ 1996 Sebring Convertible JX.5 - 116,000mi ] [ 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS - 150,000mi] [ iametarq dot com]

name a shrub after me, something prickly and hard to eradicate! - captain jack aubrey

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:09 am   
Gold Member

Most manufacturer vehicle manuals say anywhere from 30-60,000 mile changes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:16 pm   
Silver Member

I had my transmission power flushed when I picked up the car @57,000 miles with ATF+4. It had been flushed and filled previously with the wrong fluid (Dexron III +additive! Argh!), but still had the factory RTV sealing the pan. It shifted incorrectly with the wrong fluid in it. An additive does not turn Dexron III in to ATF+4 no matter what those quick lube morons tell you, and it will destroy the transmission. My friendly transmission tech idiot managed to strip out a bolt in my pan, and then covered it up by gluing it in place.

I say to heck with service centers. I believe that the fluid should be replaced in these transmissions regularly because of how much work the fluid goes through. I believe only the correct ATF+4 fluid should be used as a fill. I'm going to buy one of these cheapy flush machines and do it myself, because I don't feel like heli-coiling my transmission every time it needs service.

1977 Mercedes 300D 500K - Slotted for reconditioning. "Rita"
1982 Mercedes 300D - Turbo motor donor for the '77 "Kelly"
Why does my wife keep naming my cars?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:25 pm   

I have a question about power flushing vs. dropping the pan. My understanding of power flushing is that it will, of course, replace all the old fluid with new fluid. But, when I've had that done in the past, the pan was not dropped and cleaned; and, the filter not changed. By dropping the pan and changing the filter, it would seem all the fluid would still drop out; however, I'm sure some stays in the cooling tubes. Gravity is good; but, probably not perfect. So my question becomes, would the best of both worlds be to drop the pan, clean it, allow most all the fluid to exit, replace the filter, and then do a power flush before adding any new fluid? I'm really suspecting a final power flush might be overkill. What do the masses think - or know?

That's Mick in the February, 2008 COTM avatar car - lovin' him the most
Mods to date..........
Homelink, CMTC, XM radio, front footwell & cup holder white neons, leather shift knob, & autodim mirror added

And the 1st mod I made was to add a windscreen - which my wife and I LOVE.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:54 pm   
Gold Member

The best would be to drop the pan, change the filter and then refill. You then disconnect a trans cooler tube and run the car as the fluid from the transcooler line drains into a pan. You add fluid to the dipstick tube to replace what is being pumped out.

Just dropping the pan leaves alot of dirty fluid in the transcooler and torque convertor.

There is a difference too in doing a flush with just fluid and a flush when they run a cleaner thru it too.