It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:31 am

Engine Rattle

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 pm   
Gold Member

Ok, not having anything smart a$$ or politically hot to get into ;) I actually have a mechanical post for a change!

For a while now I have been noticing a bit of an odd rattle from my engine. At first I thought it was an exhaust noise, but it seems to be coming from the area where the bell housing meets the block. (I have the auto-stick automatic trans).

Power in the car seems unchanged. The rattle sounds like a tin can inside another tin can being shaken, is most prominent at idle, and out of gear. Once in forward gear, it quiets way down, and with a little RPM rise goes quiet. I hear it again when I coast down, if there is a Jersey barrier to reflect the sound. It is quite prominently heard outside the vehicle. It varies with RPM as well.

I am hoping it is not a bearing issue: I do not think it is, anyway... I did an engine rattle search, and found one similar posting(out of 2414, well, the 100 or so I went through) where someone wrote about a flexplate defect(?) or issue that sounded like what I have.

Anybody have any more comments on this flexplate issue? How to determine, etc?

Thanks!
Robbie

Don't be fooled by Commercial Aviation! Support HR 2881 and let your Representative know you do NOT support Tax Exempt Status and a free ride for Airlines! See http://www.aopa.org for details! http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/ ... lines.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm   
Silver Member

my initial thought was a loose bolt on the flexplate... have you had any tranny work recently?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like your cat converter is rattling .Mine does.. but only when its cold outside.
john

fog lights w/ dash light
rear molded splash guards
homelink
new white top w/ mopar back glass
new white leather seats
white boot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:26 pm   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you had any work done within the last year in the trans area? I had a noise that was first diagnosed as flex-plate but turned out to be sloppy installation at the stealership and the bolts holding the torque converter were backing out. It got louder and louder as I limped into their garage. BTW....they tried to charge me to fix their sloppy work.
FAT CHANCE THERE! :twisted:

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
The Des Moines Institute? Then you know it? Yes, we're familiar with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 pm   
Gold Member

Only tranny work was a fluid change: and I did that one...

I was thinking along the lines of the cat, but we put it up in the air, and it sounded like the flexplate area. Rattles hot or cold, seemingly more noticible when warm...

RR

Don't be fooled by Commercial Aviation! Support HR 2881 and let your Representative know you do NOT support Tax Exempt Status and a free ride for Airlines! See http://www.aopa.org for details! http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/ ... lines.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:39 pm   

I can't seem to find the thread, but I have read a few threads since been here that specifically reference the "tin can" noise you're describing. I can't seem to remember what the problem was either, but I do know that others have mentioned the problem and described it very similarly.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:54 pm   
Site Administrator

As focused as you've gotten with the area where the sound seem to originate, I'd lean on the flexplate having developed some flaws. When I had my tranny work done last November, mine was replaced due to some developing cracks. And it hadn't made any sort of noise at this point.

Keep in mind that this plate also has the reference points for the crankshaft sensor on its outer edge. You might also be able to work the location closer with an automotive stethescope.

2000 Chevy Cavalier Cayenne Pepper Red(1st new car 6 miles at adoption) - freshly repaired deck lid! - now with a crunched nose. :(
1995 Ford Moustang Teal - Back to Stock ;)
2008 Chrysler Pacifica FWD LX Inferno Red (2nd new car 12 miles at adoption)
1988 Ford Ranger - One day to have all of it's parts in the same pile.

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:09 pm   
Vendor

I agree. I have also read in other areas that the Sebring flexplate can develop cracks at the bolt holes.
Glenn

ViperDave wrote:
my initial thought was a loose bolt on the flexplate... have you had any tranny work recently?

'96-'2000 parts cars
1996 JXI (Candy Apple Red Dark Agate interior black top)
1997 JXI (Forest green tan top tan interior)
1998 JXI (Deep Amythest purple camel top camel interior)
1999 JXI(Light Cypress Green/black top Agate interior)
1949 Buick Roadmaster convertible(Rainman car)
1966 Olds 442 2 door hardtop(4-speed/400c.i.d.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 am   
Bronze Member

I'd agree with all the above on the flexplate issue-or bolt backing out. More likely cracks on the flexplate itself forming-it happens to alot of different cars, not just ours. On alot of cars there is a cover that you can remove to inspect this (but I'm not sure it will help if there is one). It will be a pain to remove it as you have to unbolt the torque converter, transmission housing, and then remove the flexplate from the crankshaft. As you know any car can have issues- it's just a car and we seem to have it racked up to just ours.....get a manual/stands, and tools and dig in. If you need help you know where to come-this site is the best I have found for our cars. Good luck and be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:39 pm   
Gold Member

Put her up in the air, gave a listen with a mechanics stethoscope. Sounded like the starter might have been motoring, so I pulled that to check it. Had to pull the oil filter to get the starter out, but I was doing an oil change anyway, so that was no problem...

Starter was ok, so I looked in the hole, then pulled the flex plate cover. Yep, as suspected the flex plate to torque converter bolts had loosened: one had backed out enough that it was striking the cover as it went around! That was my noise... (No cracks in flex plate holes.) Removed and locktighted an retorqued each one, put it all back together, finished the oil change, and started her up.

Nice and rattle free.

RR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:46 pm   
Bronze Member

Quote:
Sounds like your cat converter is rattling .Mine does.. but only when its cold outside.
john

I'm with ^ When the bricks come loose inside the cat it will make that noise. You could drive for a long time like that, then again if one of the pieces end up blocking the cat you come to an abrupt halt.

1997 Green Firebird Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:01 pm   
COTM Winner

Love a happy ending, Robbie! :D

HEY! Go HERE and buy a CSCC club sticker!

Profile WWW