Here is the TSB
Rear Window Defogger - Is Inoperative
DATE: Jan. 21, 2002
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-009-01, DATED MAY 18, 2001, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
Rear Window Defogger Inoperative
This bulletin involves replacing and reorienting BOTH rear window defogger grid terminal clips so the tips face outboard, as necessary. Failure to reorient the terminal clips may result in an additional failure.
NOTE : VEHICLES BUILT AFTER MAY 01, 2001 (MDH 0501XX) HAVE REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER TERMINAL CLIPS ORIENTED WITH TIPS FACING OUTBOARD.
2001 - 2002 (JR) Sebring Convertible
1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible
The rear window defogger is inoperative and defogger grid terminal(s) is separated from the rear window heating grid and/or may be broken.
Inspect the rear window grid terminals. If the grid terminals are securely fastened to the heating grid and the rear window defogger is inoperative further diagnosis is required. If one or both clips have broken or separated from the heating grid, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE : DO NOT USE A FLAME TYPE SOLDERING GUN OR SOLDERING GUN RATED GREATER THAN 500 WATTS, DAMAGE TO THE GLASS COULD OCCUR.
1. Remove the headliner strap by removing the screw from the carpet, then pull the headliner away from the terminal clip area, (Fig. 1).
2. Remove the wire connector from the terminal clip. If the terminal clip is broken and a portion of the clip is still attached to the heating grid, remove the portion of the clip remaining in the wire connector.
LACE A PROTECTIVE MAT BELOW THE CLIP AREA TO CATCH ANY SOLDER THAT MAY DRIP OFF OF THE GLASS.
3. If clip has come loose from the glass, skip to step 5.
4. Apply heat with a solder gun to the portion of the terminal clip on the glass until the solder starts to flow, remove the clip then smooth the solder. Wait 5 minutes for the glass to cool before proceeding, (Fig. 2).
5. Clean mating surfaces on grid and new clip with "000" extra fine steel wool.
NOTE :EXCESSIVE ABRASION MAY WEAR AWAY THE GRID COPPER SURFACE AND GRID CONTINUITY WILL BE LOST.
6. Holding the new terminal clip with a metal "pick" or other suitable pointed tool, place the new terminal clip in the same location as the original terminal clip but with the tip of clip facing outboard.
NOTE :THE TIP OF THE TERMINAL CLIP MUST FACE OUTBOARD. CLIPS ARE PRE-SOLDERED AND FLUXED. DO NOT REUSE A CLIP IF IT HAS BEEN HEATED PREVIOUSLY.
7. Place the solder gun on the new terminal clip and heat until the solder flows. Remove the solder gun and continue to hold the clip in position for 5 seconds. Let the solder area cool for 10 minutes, (Fig. 3).
8. Attach the wire connector to the terminal clip.
9. Repeat the procedure on the other side of the rear window if the tip of the terminal clip is not facing outboard or the clip has broken or the clip has come loose from the glass.
10. Test the rear window defogger grid for continuity. If successful perform step 11, if not, additional grid diagnosis will be necessary.
11. Install the headliner straps to the carpet using the original screws.