It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 pm

FLASHER CLICKING NOISE WILL NOT STOP! PLEASE HELP ME!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 pm   
Copper Member

I have a 1999 2.5L and the hazard switch keeps clicking even when the flashers aren't on. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!! All the fuses are good. When I disconnect the hazard switch in the dashboard the noise stops but then the blinkers and hazard lights don't work. I read something about checking the wiring but I don't really understad it. Can someone please help me????? :-x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 pm   
COTM Winner

Make sure you have a good ground going to the flasher. Also, make sure you're hazards or turn signals are not on for some reason. The turn signal lever needs to be in the middle, and the hazard button needs to be in it's lowest setting. If these are all off, and you have a good ground, you most likely have a faulty flasher. You can get one at almost any autoparts store...

2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXi

2.5L V6
Autostick*
Cold Air Intake*
4-Wheel Disc Brakes*
Limited-Inspired Custom Interior*
Infinity Sound System w/ 6 Disc In-Dash Changer
Modified Fog Light Switch*
Clear Headlight Lenses*
Autodim Mirror*
PT Cruiser GT 17" Chrome Wheels*
Goodyear Assurance TripleTred 215/55R17 Tires*
TMRS Mod*
Traction Control*

*Denotes Personal Modification or Addition

Simcik Racing Technology - It'll be worth the wait!

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm   
Copper Member

I appreciate your reply. How do I check the ground? What part would I actually replace? Where is the "flasher" located? Are you referring to the hazard switch or do you think that is ok. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:09 am   
COTM Winner

If you press the hazard switch down, does it pop up to a position higher than it was before you pressed it? If so, it was in the OFF position and is now ON - there should be two green arrows flashing on your dash if the key is in the ON position as well.

If you press it and it stays lower than it was before, then it was in the ON position to begin with, and if the hazards weren't flashing all this time, then the circuit has been cut somewhere and is not functional. The ticking came from the flasher's being activated.

The flasher itself is right beneath and beside the hazard switch. To get to it, look underneath the steering column, just behind the steering wheel. On the bottom of the plastic cover that the turn signal lever, wiper lever, and hazard switch protrude from you will see two deeping drilled holes, at the bottom of each you will see a Phillips head screw. Remove these two screws, and pull the two plastic pieces apart. It may take some force as the two pieces are somewhat snapped together on the sides. Once you have removed these two pieces, you will be able to clearly see the flasher on the top isde of the column. It will be on the passenger's side of center, it's prongs plugging into the switch from the front.

For the ground, you can use a simple test light or a multimeter. If you use a typical halogen test light, attach the clip to a 12V POSITIVE power source and touch the point to the ground plug that the flasher plugs into. If the light burns brightly, you have good ground. If it is dim, or does not light at all, you have a bad or no ground. A cheap/simple LED test light will not worked for this because they require very, very little power to be lit. However, more advanced, multi-color LED test lights are capable of telling you the amount of power flowing through the circuit and/or tell you if you are touching a similar or disimilar circuit, depending on whichever the wire is connected to at the time.

2.5L V6
Autostick*
Cold Air Intake*
4-Wheel Disc Brakes*
Clear Headlight Lenses*
Autodim Mirror*
TMRS Mod*
Traction Control*

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:50 am   
Copper Member

I will give it a shot this weekend and let you know how I made out.

As for the hazards, everything is functioning correctly. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:30 am   
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 things you can try. First disconnect battery for about 15 mins. Reconnect it and see if it goes away. If that doesn't work replace your multifunction switch.

One question I have to ask. Do you have keyfobs? Are they Chrysler fobs? If not you might have a aftermarket alarm system.

1991 Dodge Ram Diesel

~Henry~

Profile YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:36 pm   
Copper Member

So it has been a long while and still no resolve. I can't find the origional hazard relay anywhere. It is an omron g8a-130-14 and this has to be what's wrong. Anyone know where to get one? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:33 pm   
COTM Winner

Just about any autoparts store should carry the right kind. Just go to the counter and ask.

If not, the Dealerships will have them...

2.5L V6
Autostick*
Cold Air Intake*
4-Wheel Disc Brakes*
Clear Headlight Lenses*
Autodim Mirror*
TMRS Mod*
Traction Control*

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm   
Copper Member

I have tried several relays from pep boys autozone etc. The relay either makes a weird grinding noise or doesn't work at all. I'm looking for someone who has successfully replaced this relay and which one they used. No local jnkyards have it. To the person who suggested the multifunction switch, what would that have to do wit the flasher relay or turn signal system? Please let me know...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:08 pm   

If you have tried new ones, and they are the right spec for replacement, then I'd venture to guess that the problem exists upstream from the relay. The multi-function switch is what would engage the relay, so if there was a short, or something, it could potentially cause the relay to behave erratically. I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me to verify but that seems logical in my novice-electrical-engineer mind.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:25 pm   
COTM Winner

BennyB1983 wrote:
I have tried several relays from pep boys autozone etc. The relay either makes a weird grinding noise or doesn't work at all. I'm looking for someone who has successfully replaced this relay and which one they used. No local jnkyards have it. To the person who suggested the multifunction switch, what would that have to do wit the flasher relay or turn signal system? Please let me know...

The multifunction switch provides all the control circuitry for the hazard. If you have tried several flashers, and they are all on-spec for the car, then the problem lies in the MFS (MultiFunction Switch) itself.

Depending on the severity of the problem, something like electrical contact cleaner could fix the issue, but the best bet would be to find a replacement. You can get a new one from the dealer, from Glenn (convertiblesforever), or from your local junkyard. Although realize that if you get one that isn't new it may have a similar problem or may develop one sooner.

This is the circuitry for the main connector on the MFS, using a test light, you could inspect the inputs/outputs to ensure that the wires are wired appropriately and that there are no shorts.

There is also another plug on the other side of the MFS, but I do not have a pic/diagram of that with me. I will post one ASAP for you.

2.5L V6
Autostick*
Cold Air Intake*
4-Wheel Disc Brakes*
Clear Headlight Lenses*
Autodim Mirror*
TMRS Mod*
Traction Control*

Profile WWW